Thoughts from a Random Mind
It seems to me that simple common courtesies are becoming extinct. Hold a door for someone. Greeting a person with a cheery disposition. Paying for the coffee of the person behind you in line whether you know them or not. Giving others the right of way on the road. You just don’t see that sort of thing much anymore. At least not in New Jersey.
Now I realize that is what I refer to as a broad sweeping generalization. Just because I don’t happen to see it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, but as far as I’m concerned you really have to look for it to find it. Shouldn’t it be commonplace or is that asking too much?
As a believer in Christ I believe it’s something Jesus would do. My father taught me to treat all people with respect, especially women. Common courtesy was nestled in those lessons. So perhaps it’s lacking because parents just don’t take the time to impart it to their kids. Or maybe they took the time, but the kids blew it off as unimportant. I don’t really know, but I DO know that when you perform a common courtesy for someone, they appreciate it, almost as if they thought it had died out as well. But an old dinosaur like me still looks to bless others every chance I get. It costs nothing to be kind, but the dividends can be enormous. It could start a revolution of sorts just like it the movie “Paying It Forward”. * Until next time, walk with the King & be a blessing.
In His Name & for His Glory,
RL Keller
Bread of Life Ministries
*The movie Pay It Forward, with Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt & Haley Joel Osment, came out in the fall of 2000. It was a Warner Bros. film. Great movie ... if you haven’t seen it check it out. You won’t be sorry.
No comments:
Post a Comment