Monday, October 7, 2024

Thoughts from a Random Mind

            We all have fathers. Some are good, some are not. Some are attentive, some are indifferent. Some are supportive, some are not at all. My father felt his obligations and responsibilities ended when I left for college. In all the years I knew him he never called me on the phone. Once out of the house he took very little interest in me. It was sad, but I had been conditioned to expect nothing, so I wasn’t hurt. It’s a mantra I still recite to this day regarding my two AWOL adult daughters. Expect little to nothing and you won’t get hurt.

            This brings me to my Heavenly Father, who has a keen interest in me. He represents everything we wish our earthly fathers could become. Perhaps that’s too lofty an ideal to aspire to, considering how pitiful we are in all aspects of life compared to our Maker. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. There is no shadow of turning with him. God is faithful and trustworthy. He cannot lie, being the epitome of truth. What earthly fathers could be, God is.

            After a lifetime of selfish ambivalence, in his final couple years of life, my father finally looked at me and said, “You know, you’re a good son. I love you.” Hearing those words was like winning the lottery. After all the years of disinterest he finally made everything alright by saying those simple words. I suppose it was all I needed … somewhere within his stern German exterior he loved me, and he cared. 

            I believe my Father did the best he could. He didn’t get saved until the waning hours of his life, but he made it. In reality God shows us, thru the actions of his Son, that his love for us is matchless. Christ died that we might be free to live in peace and love one another.  

Until next time, walk with the King and be a blessing.

In His Name & for His Glory,

Richard Keller

Bread of Life Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment