Monday, January 16, 2017

LADY GAGA

     With Gaga doing the halftime show for the Super Bowl this year I thought I'd check out some of the lyrics to her songs.  I didn't have to go far to find that, in my opinion, her lyrics are largely meaningless.  I actually think she has a pretty good voice and the beat of her songs is not all that bad. I watched a couple of her videos and I found them to be in some ways decadent, highly sexual, and somewhat bizarre.  Now if those in their late teens & twenties want to watch and listen to all that then that would be their choice to make.  Personally I see no redeeming value in any of it.  She has a right to create whatever she so desires, however her desires scream out confusion and chaos.  Or perhaps I just don't get what she's trying to say.  My objection comes from the lack of self-policing of her work that can be seen by very young kids and no doubt is.  This type of influence is leading kids down the slippery slope of unfulfillment.  
     One example of the arbitrary nature of her lyrics is found on her debut album from 2006. The song "Wish You Were Here" has a line in it that doesn't seem to fit at all. It caught my eye because it mentions God.  The line goes "Sometimes I wonder if god hides out in cities to set us free ... cause yeah, this room is crowded. But I am so alone in it, help me please. Where is home, I want you to know." Huh?  Now I realize I have plucked several lines out of context, but seriously, is that supposed to mean something?  Oh well, to each his or her own.
     To many folks Christians are seen as hypocritical, homophobic, judges who are rigidly trying to impose their way of thinking on others.  The saddest part of all that is that might be true in many cases.  It's not true with me. I believe everyone has a choice to make in their life.  You don't have to believe in God if you don't want to.  You can believe whatever you want to believe.  Having said that there can only be one truth.  There is only one way to heaven and not many.  Christ died for the sins of all mankind, not just a chosen few.  And every choice a person makes comes with resulting consequences.  So live as you like, say what you wish, do as you please, but understand that if there truly is a God, and I believe that there is, there will come a reckoning one day and I am deeply concerned that many people will be caught ill prepared for that day.  Consider Christ and all he stands for.  Step away from the unfulfillment that comes from the choices you've been making for so long and step into the light of the one truth that can revolutionize your life.  It's your choice. Choose wisely.  rlkeller

No comments:

Post a Comment