Saturday, May 24, 2014

MY SOCIAL EXPERIMENT

I began a little social experiment this morning.



I had this tee shirt made and wore it out in public this morning for the first time when I went to pick up bagels.  I've noticed in the past that people don't want to talk about "religion" or "God" or "Jesus". I noticed the same thing this morning.  It makes people nervous, uncomfortable.  I know because that's exactly how I felt back in 1979 when approached about Jesus on the Montclair State campus (in NJ).  I was uncomfortable because I had grown up in church, yet didn't have the faintest idea what I believed.  I went cuz my Mom went.  

This morning I perceived a severe lack of eye contact with me.  In the past when I've worn something that spoke of ministry or Jesus or God I was met with scowls or blank stares.  People will talk until they become hoarse about something they feel comfortable talking about, but God isn't a topic most people are ready to discuss unless they are vehemently opposed to all religion or the notion that God doesn't exist.  I'm trying to get people to think when I wear this shirt.  What if God DOES exist?  What if He really DOES love you?  What if Jesus really DID die for you?  What then?  From time to time I will post reactions to my wearing of the shirt.  Should be interesting. rlkeller



No comments:

Post a Comment