Wednesday, July 23, 2014

BAD KARMA

kar·ma
noun
  1. (in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.
    • informal
      destiny or fate, following as effect from cause.

      Why am I defining the word Karma?  I have heard at least 6 people over the last few days use the word.  I think they are using it incorrectly and don't even know it.  These people are saying that when a person does a bad thing to someone else, and then something bad happens to them it's "karma".  1) the definition above shows where they are wrong.  These other religions believe that if you live a bad life and do bad things to others you will come back in the next life as a cockroach or some other nasty creature.  While I admit that it is really just a matter of semantics, to me when someone has something bad happen to them after they do bad to another, it's simply the consequences of evil actions.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I wouldn't think Christians would want to fall in line with Hindus and / or Buddhists by spouting the phrase ... it's karma.  We must learn our terms and then call it what it truly is.  While it's not a heaven or hell issue, it can sort of make us sound a little ignorant.  That's just my opinion.  rlkeller

No comments:

Post a Comment