Wednesday, July 30, 2014

HASIDIC JEWS - An Observation

          The Hasidic Jews are a much maligned community.  I have been observing how they act in public and have made a couple observations thus far.
          1)  I was told of a Hasidic who casually took an item from their basket in a store and flung it up on the highest shelf apparently because she no longer wished to purchase it.  Now I didn't observe this for myself, but have no reason to doubt the store employee who asked one of the store lead men in front of me if she was allowed to politely ask the woman to fetch the item and put it back where she found it.  We are not allowed to confront a store 'guest' regarding anything was the reply she received.
          2)  I did, however, personally encounter a Hasidic woman who smiled and nodded at me as she passed by.  That may seem like a small thing, but my experience has been that the majority of them don't seem to have any desire to make eye contact with gentiles (1).
          3)  I unintentionally kept a store 'guest' waiting for an order from the back when I grabbed the wrong order by mistake and had to go back to fetch the correct order.  The Hasidic gentlemen was very kind, gracious and understanding, which is not what I've been told about them as a group.  I appreciated his attitude and was truly sorry for the delay.  Now THAT is exhibiting the mercy and grace of God to others.

More to come ... rlkeller

(1) Any person who is not Jewish.

No comments:

Post a Comment